FedEx Home Delivery Contractors - A Girlfriend's View

My Boyfriend decided to run a FedEx Home Delivery Contractor Route. What started out as an interesting venture is fast becoming a lousy prospect. Thinking about becoming one? Here are some things, good and bad that he tells me that would make me wonder. Hate the service? Possibly it ISN'T the idiot drivers fault. ANY AND ALL COMMENTS ABOUT FED EX Home Delivery Services and Routes ARE MORE THAN WELCOME. Again, this blog expresses my opinions and the opinions of any commenter who posts here.

Friday, October 29, 2004

And So It Begins

They started with the Peak Seaon threshold talks a while back, and, my Boyfriend just couldn't wait to hear what they were "projecting" for him. After all, he's been saying to people that he doesn't want to hire a supplemental, and I guess the spys on the floor got that info back to management (the creepy dude that my BF says is just "too happy all the time" is my suspect). Word is they are shocked or something that he doesn't want to do this, what with all the "earning potential" it brings. I'm sure it shocks them every time someone says, no, its not in my "business plan" to take on the burden of seasonal employees. (Probably because they don't believe that one of the sheep in their flock has chosen to BAH at all and anger them).

He was given an individual threshold that is ALMOST doable under 12 hours so already we know the bonus is gone because there WIIL BE "Did Not Attempts" coming back because he WON'T exceed the DOT limit, he WON'T do the number "fudging" that they'd like either. Word is, they've been doing some number fudging themselves, making sure that there are no over 12hr days even if the day is 13hrs. Believe me, the minute they pull it on him, the minute they make him sign the hours sheet and the numbers have been lowered, I'm calling the DOT 1-888-368-7238 (DOT Safe Driving Violation Number) and letting them know about the creative time accounting they've been doing. I've recommended he start logging the hours and really want to find a way to track it from the scanner itself as proof.

SO, as I've said before, YEAH, RIGHT: Supplementals are GOOD MONEY . OK, Sure -- well, it seems to work out to be about a couple hundred bucks a week after expenses - to worry about: Will the guy quit or call in sick or get hurt and you are stuck with this threshold and responsibility, will the guy "release" packages and in turn get YOU claims, will the guy run the rental into a phone pole and give YOU insurance issues, will the guy DNA a lot and cost you your bonus, make you end up having to deliver a larger bulk anyway? All things that can tick tick tick away from your "great" earnings. He stills sees this as breakeven at best and only headaches for him. He sees it as not what he signed up for, he didn't do it last year, he will not do it this year.

Well, its clearly not a popular stance and the past few weeks pressure has been building up. He is WELL OVER the threashold already and I'm sure it's in part punishment and/or a way to cause problems to say he's not performing - although he generally does more volume than a bunch of the other guys, has maybe one or two claims total, and has taken maybe 2 days off in the year he's done this. Its AGAIN obvious that WAVE MAKERS are dealt with harshly to scare the herd and to make sure that everything goes management's way. Who care's if he's a good performer who takes pride in his work, truck and image - the supposed idea of what they are looking for.

So, right now, its wait and see. He will only do his 12 hours, whatever he doesn't do will come back with him in the morning and if he's got more than 12 hours worth the next day they'll build up. END OF STORY. We know they'll try and say he's not fullfilling his contract which I think is hysterical to say the least. I'm encouraging him to say, its your problem not mine, "I fully acknowledge the contract where it says you reserve the right to allocate packages from my zone to other drivers when the volume is more than I can reasonably handle in a day."

I expect soon to be posting the dramas of "breach of contract" OR alternately "How He Walked Away" in the coming weeks because one or the other is going to give.

I like the idea of one of the commenters to this site. I'm wondering what newspaper would publish a nice story about our own brand of "A Christmas Carol". Probably none, they probably get "great rates".

2 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know when I did it last year they had you enter as your start time (which is supposed to be when you first start scanning and loading your truck) 15 minutes before you actually left the terminal. They are the real evil empire. I hope they get screwed by that lawsuit. I know I'll be in on the class action suit to follow.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The management tells your business to all the brown nosing employees as well..At least at Pittsburgh terminal 3152. So I know a few others that will be in on that suit..If your not screwing someone or if you don't kiss managements ass your a black baller. To get hirer up or a 5 star award you have to do one of hr's. Doctor paperwork yes its Management

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

2 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know when I did it last year they had you enter as your start time (which is supposed to be when you first start scanning and loading your truck) 15 minutes before you actually left the terminal. They are the real evil empire. I hope they get screwed by that lawsuit. I know I'll be in on the class action suit to follow.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The management tells your business to all the brown nosing employees as well..At least at Pittsburgh terminal 3152. So I know a few others that will be in on that suit..If your not screwing someone or if you don't kiss managements ass your a black baller. To get hirer up or a 5 star award you have to do one of hr's. Doctor paperwork yes its Management

 

Post a Comment

<< Home